Cheddar Cornbread With Chow Chow
1 12-ounce jar chow chow, drained
8 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 cup AP flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with a cast iron skillet (8 to 10 inches).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and honey.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well each time.
- Add buttermilk, mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry into the wet mixture, mix together until only a few lumps remain.
- Fold in the chow chow.
- Remove skillet from oven, spray with pan spray.
- Pour batter in hot, greased pan, top with cheddar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.